Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning (Ads) (Remote - Ireland)
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages creative solutions to problems. All new engineers deploy working code their first week, and we strive to broaden individual impact with support from managers, mentors, and teams. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Are you passionate about machine learning systems that build high-quality, high-impact solutions for automated decision-making? Do you want to help local businesses grow and succeed? Yelp's Ads group works on challenging, multi-disciplinary problems at scale—spanning machine learning, data structures & algorithms, optimization, statistics, and distributed systems—with the goal of creating a healthy, valued marketplace between customers and advertisers.
As a Senior Software Engineer (Machine Learning) within the Ads group, you’ll be joining a team that focuses on dynamically optimizing the allocation of ad campaign budgets across multiple channels.
This opportunity requires you to be located in the Republic of Ireland. We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
What you'll do:
- Productionize machine learning, statistical, and optimization model-based features developed by applied and data scientists.
- Develop and maintain reliable, scalable, and maintainable solutions.
- Partner with our ML platform team to ensure your team and group leverage Yelp's ML tools effectively and in accordance with best practices.
- Help shape the future of ML at Yelp by providing valuable feedback and contributing to tool improvements.
- Independently manage and lead software development projects.
- Act as a bridge between applied and data scientists (who may not have experience building scalable systems) and generalist backend engineers (who may lack experience with ML or other mathematical/statistical model-based systems).
What it takes to succeed:
- Several years of experience productionizing machine learning, statistical, or optimization model-based features, ideally at a scale that is comparable to Yelp's.
- Expertise in Python (including pandas, NumPy, scikit-learn, XGBoost), with experience in Spark, cloud (AWS), and microservices (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Sufficient knowledge of machine learning and modeling to understand the work of the applied scientists, but not expected to have deep theoretical knowledge.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and high-impact environment.
What you'll get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- 25 days paid holiday (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday.
- €150 monthly reimbursement to help cover remote working expenses.
- €95 caregiver reimbursement to support dependent care for families.
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- €95 per month to use toward qualifying wellness expenses.
- Quarterly team offsites.
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?