Applied Scientist - Ad Market Dynamic (Remote - United States)
Remote · United States
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages creative solutions to problems. All new engineers deploy working code their first week, and we strive to broaden individual impact with support from managers, mentors, and teams. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Are you passionate about applying statistical modeling, machine learning, algorithm design, and experimentation to make high-quality, high-impact solutions? Do you want to help local businesses grow and succeed? Yelp's Ads group works on challenging, multi-disciplinary problems at scale—spanning machine learning, data structures & algorithms, optimization, statistics and distributed systems—with the goal of creating a healthy, valued marketplace between customers and advertisers.
As an applied scientist within the Ads group, you will be joining a team that focuses on pricing and auction bidding strategies, control systems, and experimentation. Applied scientists uncover these insights through exploratory research and analysis, and carry the ideas all the way through to production-grade statistical or predictive models. Making sense of this data, thinking deeply about system design, and figuring out different network interactions is hard work, but these insights are hugely impactful to Yelp’s business.
This opportunity is fully remote and does not require you to be located in any particular state within the US. We welcome applicants from throughout the US. We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
What you'll do:
- Identify and own challenging problems, form testable hypotheses, and drive significant business impact.
- Lead the design and analysis of experiments or development of causal and predictive models to test your ideas.
- Collaborate with product and engineering to affect changes in production systems and provide intelligence to other teams.
- Communicate your conclusions to technical and non-technical audiences alike.
- Keep the team and our projects current on new developments in ML and statistics by reading papers and attending conferences and local events.
- Productionize and automate model pipelines within Python services.
What it takes to succeed:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent work experience is required.
- A degree in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science, Statistics, Econometrics, Applied Math, Physics, etc.
- Experience with data analysis/statistical software and packages (pandas/statsmodels/sklearn within Python, R, etc.).
- Experience with predictive modeling/machine learning, forecasting, or causal inference.
- A love for writing beautiful code; you don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we’ll expect you to learn on the job.
- A demonstrated capability for applied research, the curiosity to uncover promising solutions to new problems, and the persistence to carry your ideas through to an end goal.
- The motivation to develop deep product and business knowledge and to connect abstract modeling and analysis tasks with business value.
- Comfortable working in a Unix environment.
What you'll get:
- Compensation range is $106,000-235,000 annually. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits.
- This opportunity has the option to be fully remote in all locations across the US.
- You can find more information about Yelp's five star benefits here!
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity."
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
Actual salary offered may vary based on multiple factors, including but not limited to, an individual's location and experience.
We will consider for employment qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law (including, for example, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance for roles based in San Francisco).
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
See more open positions at Yelp
Something looks off?