Software Engineer - Hardware Team
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
Voltus’ mission is to fulfill the promise of the energy transition by becoming the software platform for Distributed Energy Resources. Named one of Forbes’ top 50 best startup employers in 2023, we operate Virtual Power Plants that help the grid meet demand by coordinating energy usage with generation capacity. Our business model directly contributes to the sun-setting of coal power plants, to grid stability during energy crises (like the 2020 blackout in California and the 2021 Texas winter outage), and to the efficacy of distributed energy resources like solar and wind.
Voltus is a remote and virtual company, distributed across US, Canada, and abroad with many team members in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and other cities. This role can be based anywhere in the US/Canada.
Are you interested in distributed hardware and electronics? Do you enjoy working with fleets of devices and cloud communications? Voltlets are the beating heart of our Voltus’ Demand Response programs. With thousands of units installed streaming data live to Voltus’s platform, the Voltlet enables our customers to monitor their energy usage in real time, and allows Voltus to manage thousands of sites for participation in demand response programs.
The Voltlet team is preparing Voltus to manage an order of magnitude more deployed devices. We are looking for an experienced software engineer to help develop our cloud architecture and IoT fleet management solutions. A successful candidate will not only possess the required experience and technical skills, but will also demonstrate awareness, empathy, intentionality, curiosity and a desire to be part of an open, collaborative, and psychologically-safe engineering culture.
We are responsible for:
- All technology aspects of Voltus’ IoT infrastructure including device software and firmware, cloud infrastructure, and fleet management
- Uptime and quality for our fleet of devices
- Device hardware and firmware development
- Remote software updates
- Cloud architecture to receive data from and manage thousands of devices
- Development and maintenance of fleet management solutions
- Engaging with customers, field support teams, and our manufacturing and assembly team to seek opportunities for improvement
We are looking for:
- Bachelors or equivalent training in computer science or comparable engineering field
- Minimum 5 years professional software engineering experience building cloud web applications, ideally for IoT solutions
- Experience building production systems in Python, Go, or a similar high level language
- Experience using Postgres or similar RDBMS and AWS
- Knowledge of and proven skills with Linux-based systems
- Basic knowledge of and interest in electronics and electrical systems such as Raspberry Pi or Arduino-style technologies
- Demonstrated history of skill growth and organizational advancement
Contributions a successful candidate will make:
- The Voltlet Team serves a diverse set of stakeholders. A successful candidate will expected to work cross functionally with customers, internal stakeholders, and the development team
- Desire to learn about the energy industry and complex distributed systems
- Willingness to add to our knowledge and skills with agile methodologies
- Awareness, empathy, intentionality, curiosity
- Desire to be part of an open, collaborative, and psychologically-safe engineering culture
At Voltus, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer because we recognize that a diverse organization begins with a diverse candidate pool. This means we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender identity, race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or marital status.
See more open positions at Voltus
Something looks off?