Kubernetes Cluster Lifecycle Engineer
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Kubernetes Cluster Lifecycle Engineer.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to drive and develop our Kubernetes infrastructure and deployment systems as a shared service to scale with Twilio’s growth. These shared platform services are essential to developer efficiency and incident reduction. If you are deeply passionate about enabling Twilio engineers, and solving sophisticated infrastructure problems with software, you are a great fit for our team.
In this role, you’ll:
- Help develop technical implementation of declarative software driven infrastructure systems that are used by Twilio application developers and influence the direction of technology at Twilio
- Design, develop, and operate state of the art software for managing Kubernetes infrastructure at scale
- Educate and advocate for new technologies in the Twilio engineering organization
- Create, maintain and operate critical systems that host key applications
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Experience designing/architecting/implementing and operating highly available production level infrastructure based on Kubernetes at scale
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or containers. Understanding of the core components of Kubernetes, how it works and how to run and deploy it.
- Experience with tooling surrounding the Kubernetes ecosystem including the various controllers, operators and package managers that are available. CRDs, Operator patterns, Aggregated APIs, RBAC
- Experience and proficiency in writing sustainable GoLang. Other software experience relevant but not required: Java, Python, Rust, etc
- Experience architecting Kubernetes aligned observability standard methodologies via instrumentation, logging and tracing with tools such as Prometheus, alertmanager, Grafana, Jaeger, fluentd, ELK, etc
- Experience architecting and implementing software development and deployment standard methodologies using tools such as ArgoCD, Jenkins, Spinnaker, etc
- Experience developing various level of tests including unit, integration, performance and ongoing operational canary testing
- Experience with cloud automation and lifecycle management tooling such as Terraform, ansible, chef
- Experience with AWS and its different products including EKS, EC2, SSM, etc
- Written communication skills including how to document and diagram design requirements.
- 5+ years of engineering experience
- Computer Science background and education
- Experience running Kubernetes at scale or in an environment with many application teams and services. SRE and systems operational experience.
- Experience with service mesh technology
- Experience with low level container technologies like containerd, container first operating systems, and CNI
- Experience implementing secure Multi-tenant software solutions
- Experience with virtualization technology
- Linux internal, distributed systems and OS experience.
This role will be remote, and based in the USA.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this rol are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $132,300 - $165,400.
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $140,080 - $175,000.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?