Architect - Data & Growth Platform
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as a Platform Services Architect in the Data & Apps BU.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position will lead engineering architecture for the Platform Services group. This group is responsible for the core ingestion, processing, and delivery of behavioral events, and additionally providing observability and compliance on top of it.
In this role, you will design, build and enhance key systems and products as part of the Twilio/Segment product portfolio, including stream data processing, storage, and other mission-critical systems. This role will be part of a group of senior-most technical leaders that provide oversight to engineering teams in the Twilio Data & Apps organization.
In this role, you’ll:
- Design, review and build core systems that power Twilio Segment and Twilio Engage
- Partner with other engineering leads across Twilio to build world-class products
- Ensure world-class reliability, security and cost-efficiency for all the products we build
- Mentor other engineers in the group throughout their journey
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications makes for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Strong track record of designing and building high-throughput, low-latency, and highly available distributed systems
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Ability to build effective working relationships with all levels of the organization
- Passionate about enabling other developers through your leadership and driving teams to good decisions
- Can successfully lead teams through very challenging engineering problems
- Demonstrated ability to evolve and grow complex systems iteratively
- Domain expertise in cloud infrastructure (we use AWS) and systems languages (we use Go)
- Experience with systems programming; comfortable reasoning about topics like manual memory management, performance analysis, and networking
- Experience in modern stream processing systems (e.g., Spark, Flink)
- Experience in message passing systems (e.g., Kafka, AWS Kinesis)
- Experience in AWS and Go
This role can be based anywhere in North America and can be fully remote.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $213,120.00 - $266,400.00.
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $225,680.00 - $282,100.00.
- Based in the San Francisco Bay area, California: $250,720.00 - $313,400.00.
- This role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan and the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?