Principal Software Engineer - Twilio Engage Compute
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Principal Software Engineer.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
As a Software Engineer on the Twilio Engage Compute team, you’ll design and build the interface into the compute platform that powers data-driven customer engagement at internet scale. You’ll be responsible for leading execution, mentoring, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to deliver platform primitives that unlock the most important product initiatives and provide high business impact for our enterprise customers.
Twilio Engage is the world’s first growth platform powered by customer data. Imagine a platform that can take hundreds of thousands of messages entering Twilio Segment’s pipelines every second, add in an identity graph, overlay high-speed databases and realtime and batch computation engines — and you have the Twilio Engage platform. This platform unlocks our ability to build key business growth features like audience management, real-time personalization, and data-driven marketing campaigns.
We iterate quickly on these products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design and solve some of the toughest engineering problems to unlock new possibilities for our customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
In this role, you’ll:
- Architect and design clean interfaces between platform services and applications
- Build APIs for profile segmentation and enrichment that serve both internal and external customers
- Design a human-readable query language, query parser, and AST to SQL translator
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, fellow developers, and internal stakeholders to turn business goals into achievable technical roadmaps
- Drive operational excellence, maintaining robust uptime and enabling continuous delivery
- Mentor engineers on the team, leading projects, sharing domain knowledge, and positively influencing their careers
- 7+ years of experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Strong background in building APIs and highly available platform services
- Well-versed in concurrent programming
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services
- Experience taking challenging projects across the finish line, from gathering requirements to deploying and debugging systems in production
- Experience interfacing with stakeholders and translating customer requirements into software solutions; motivated and driven to deliver customer impact
- Comfortable asking questions and taking initiative to solve problems in a rapidly growing company, where it is often necessary to “draw the owl”
- Demonstrated commitment to seeking diverse viewpoints and acting with intention to create an inclusive team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with Golang
- Familiarity with BigQuery and SQL
- Experience managing AWS infrastructure
This role will be remote and based in the USA.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
- Based in Colorado: $198,090.00 - $220,100.00 .
- Based in New York, Washington State, or the San Francisco Bay area, California: $233,010.00 - $258,900.00.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?