Senior BESS Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Senior BESS Engineer will will be the primary pre and post-sale technical support resource for the controls integration on all energy storage projects, with design, discovery, and technical analysis responsibility from origination through commissioning. This position reports to the Director of Engineering or another senior management personnel that the Vice President and/or President of the Company may designate. This position is expected to travel up to 30%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for designing all engineering and technical aspects of electrical storage systems
- Perform advanced solar energy analysis including research, measurement, prediction and calculations required for the layout and energy production estimates
- Establish and maintain the electrical engineering and design criteria used on all applicable engineering standards and specifications
- Support Operations, Construction and Project Managers to ensure timely and cost-effective resolution to electrical engineering issues at all stages of the project from design through construction COD
- Responsible for the review, approval, and technical oversight of all engineering and design of solar PV and storage projects including substations, transmission interconnection systems, SCADA, system protection and controls and ensure conformance to all PPA’s and IA’s
- Work with electrical engineering, consultants when needed to ensure consistent criteria, cost effective designs and timely delivery
- Manage the activities associated with long lead electrical equipment required on projects, including preparation of engineering specifications to procure main transformers, solar panels, batteries, trackers, rectifiers, cabling, switchgear, SCADA and other substation equipment, as well as technical bid evaluation as needed
- Support the regulatory and permitting process of projects in areas of electrical engineering
- Incorporate site layout/design, data and loss assumptions into energy production models and perform energy simulation
- Work closely with Development, Engineering, Construction and Consultants to optimize layouts and EPE’s
- Provide accurate solar energy analyses and estimates to ensure site suitability and cost-effective power performance
- Ensure all deliverables meet the overall requirements established for specific projects.
- Support technical elements of RFIs/RFPs
- Define controls requirements on a project basis and evaluate proposals for controls system solutions from hardware and software vendor partners
- Define project commissioning requirements and support the development and execution of commissioning plans to ensure project controls solutions satisfy the required applications
- Regular attendance, in accordance with company's attendance policy and supervisory assignment, is an essential job duty requirement for this position
- Minimum of 8years of proven experience in utility scale renewable energy projects
- Minimum of 5 years of solar industry experience preferred
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical, or controls engineering; Professional Engineering licensure is a plus
- Have 5-8 years’ experience in SCADA, building automation, or controls system design
- Have strong knowledge of electrical standards (UL/IEEE) and National Electrical Code and California Building Code, plus U.S. utility interconnection standards.
- Have demonstrated the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Have demonstrated proficiency with AutoCAD.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite including Excel, Word and Outlook
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.
See more open positions at Qcells
Something looks off?