Senior Software Engineer, Developer Productivity
The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $138 billion by 2026!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Software Development Platform team is embedded in the Core Server organization. The core server organization is mainly focused on the open source MongoDB repository, as well as private enterprise features. We are responsible for building and optimizing the tools and systems the server engineers use daily. We manage the build system, testing infrastructure, and other related tools.
You will be working on the Software Developer Platform team, optimizing developer experience on a multi-million line C++ codebase. We are looking for an individual who cares deeply for engineering team success, cares strongly about quality code, and cares about effectively scaling development teams. Specifically, if you are passionate about reducing build times, reducing continuous integration times, improving developer tooling, and working to improve developer satisfaction - this role is for you!
Our ideal candidate will
- Be experienced with Python or a related language
- Be experienced with C++ or a related language
- Have worked on optimizing developers’ SDLC loop (ideally in C++ codebase)
- Be experienced with C++ build systems including but not limited to SCons, Ninja, CMake, Bazel, Buck, Meson, etc…
- Be experienced with C++ toolchain development and deployment
- Be dedicated to writing maintainable, well-tested code, with modern best practices
- Be willing to seek out pain points from other developers
- Be extremely customer focused
- Be able to efficiently communicate with stakeholders
- Design, develop, and test solutions to improve developer experience
- Listen to other developers to understand their pain points
- Mentor other developers
- Work with unfamiliar tools and systems
- Work well with others when brainstorming improvements and executing projects
- In the first month you will have made small but meaningful contributions to existing projects. You will also have a very high-level understanding of the developer experience of the server team at MongoDB.
- Within 3 months, you will have core contributions to at least one feature. You will have a good understanding of the team's mission and goals. You will also be comfortable interacting with engineers on the rest of the server team.
- In six months you will be advocating for projects and improvements. You should be comfortable leading projects. You will have an in-depth understanding of at least one area the team owns.
- In a year you will be mentoring other team members. You will be designing and leading projects. You will have shipped several successful projects. You will have an in-depth understanding of several areas that the team owns. You will frequently interact with engineers outside of the team.
This role can be based out of any of the headquarters or fully remote in North America.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Something looks off?