Staff Privacy Compliance Engineer
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We're looking for experienced Privacy Compliance Managers to join our fast-moving security & privacy team. We work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from supporting thousands of concurrent shoppers and processing millions of data points in real-time, to helping customers identify the brands and retailers most relevant to them.
At Instacart, we hold ourselves greatly responsible for protecting our customers', shoppers', and partners' data to provide a secure platform to shop. As one of the members of the security & privacy team, you will have a tremendous impact on Instacart's privacy posture and engineering culture. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to have a large sense of ownership, grow extraordinarily in their career, and develop cross-functional, technical, and soft skills.
About the Team
You will be an early member of an exciting team that will be responsible for overseeing the development off privacy-focused features and frameworks for Instacart in both the production and infrastructure space. You will have an opportunity to lead high impact projects across the platform and assist in defining the internal team processes. You will be directly influencing the security and privacy posture of many products and systems across the company.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Synthesize various requirements and priorities into a unified actionable roadmap for company-wide privacy compliance milestones and drive the execution across multiple cross-functional teams.
- Translate legal and privacy regulatory requirements to product and engineering teams leveraging a user-first mindset to enable automation and compliance by design.
- Evaluate, evolve, and create operational programs with controls and protocols following privacy-by-design principles, while working with legal, operations, product, and engineering teams.
- Create clear and concise requirements for both product management and engineering to enable the automation of privacy controls and compliance obligations.
- Provide guidance and oversight to product, business, and engineering teams on complying with the privacy program and its day-to-day objectives.
- Performs regular privacy assessments of product and operational processes, identifying, and mitigating risks across the company through effective tools, training, and guidance.
- Communicates program progress, escalations, and issue analysis to key stakeholders.
- 10+ years of work experience in consulting, business operations, technical program management or other operational disciplines.
- 3+ years experience in program management with a demonstrated track record of leadership in execution of large-scale technical programs.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), ability to influence without authority.
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, in particular in leading or contributing to global and multi-functional teams.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a related discipline or equivalent practical experience
- Experience working in a technical cloud environment, preferably AWS
- Experience influencing stakeholders and engineers
- Proven track record of delivering ambitious product, and/or organizational or process changes
- Ability to balance risks in ambiguous and complex situations.
- Experience in process design and process improvement in a complex cross functional environment
- Experience working with industry frameworks (ISO 27001 and/or NIST 800-53) Industry certification such as AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate (SAA-C03)
- Cross-group collaboration experience
- Experience in end-to-end lifecycle coordination
- Experience with privacy data protection legislation and or regulations
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Something looks off?