Senior Firmware Engineer
Who is Flock?
Flock Safety provides the first public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We have raised over $380M in venture capital including a recent Series E round led by Tiger Global. Now surpassing a 3B valuation, Flock is scaling intentionally and seeking the best and brightest to help us meet our goal of reducing crime in the United States by 25% in the next three years.
- How To Succeed at Flock Video
- Flock’s Series E Announcement
- How We Stop Crime and Protect Privacy
- Flock’s Framework
- Ethics Center
Flock is looking to add a Sr. Firmware Engineer to our Device Firmware Team. Our device team is made up of badass engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by creating firmware that reliably captures, processes, and uploads billions of images per day for years at a time without needing human interaction to keep them running.
How you'll make an impact:
- Integrate and port SoC (Linux/Android) BSP to Flock hardware platforms
- Bring-up new hardware device(s) to run Linux/Android (AOSP) OS, working with SoC vendors and other partners
- Work closely with the Hardware, Framework and Application teams to design and enable needed functionality in Android-based devices
- Develop, review, port, test, and debug Linux device drivers and Android HAL implementations for devices (e.g. cameras, environmental sensors, power systems, etc.)
- Ensure the stability and robustness of the system software from ideation through production and launch
- Work effectively across a variety of engineering teams to resolve issues and enable new features
- Work with systems designed for ultimate redundancy and high availability
- Design, develop, test, deploy, improve and maintain full ownership of device firmware components throughout the product lifecycle
- Balance performance with energy consumption - we're a machine learning enabled media processing machine powered by a battery and solar power
- Integrate multiple IoT devices together to share data to help each other understand and respond to the environment including microcontroller-based solutions working side-by-side with Android/Linux devices
- Improve the quality, functionality and security of the platform and devices
We're looking for people who:
- Have a strong desire to understand the root cause of a problem and deliver a robust solution.
- Have development experience within embedded systems/firmware design at multiple stages of the product life cycle (pre-production, release, scaling, etc.)
- Have strong experience coding in C (C++ is a bonus!)
- Have experience with Linux kernel and device driver development
- Have experience in dealing with complex systems and codebases (HALs, sub-systems, etc)
- Have experience bringing up Linux and/or Android devices
- Have experience with Android system architecture (HAL, Android Linux Kernel, Android Build System, etc.)
- Are comfortable working in a fully Linux development environment including custom tooling, Docker containers, Git/Repo, etc.
Nice To Haves
- Experience with Qualcomm chipset devices is a plus
- Experience with customizing “Qualcomm Proprietary” subsystems(BP) is a big plus!
- Experience with battery-powered/power constrained devices is a plus
- Experience with ARM Cortex Microcontroller (NRF5x, STM32x, etc.) is a plus
- Experience with wireless embedded technologies (BLE, LTE, Wifi AP) is a plus
- Strong knowledge of Linux internals (process scheduler, memory management, concurrency, synchronization, memory allocation, file system, networking, storage, subsystem architecture) are all big pluses
- Experience bringing up drivers for common peripheral bus technologies including SPI, I2C, UART, is a big plus
Feeling uneasy that you haven’t ticked every box? That’s okay, we’ve felt that way too. Studies have shown women and minorities are less likely to apply unless they meet all qualifications. We encourage you to break the status quo and apply to roles that would make you excited to come to work every day.
Our values define how we approach our work every single day:
- Do the Work
- Optimism With a Plan
- Embrace Change to Grow
- Protect the Whole Community
To read more about our values, click here.
Why Join Us?
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people working to eliminate crime is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer:
- We have raised over $380M in venture capital and are backed by some of the top VCs including a16z, Tiger Global, Meritech and more
- 91% of our employees recommend working here
- We have an audacious goal of reducing crime in the United States by 25% over the next three years
- 7% of crimes in the US are solved by Flock, and we help to solve ~200 crimes a day
- We partner with 2100+ cities and 1500+ agencies across the US and process 1.65B+ images a week (we process more images than Instagram 🤯)
💰Salary & Equity: In this role, you’ll receive a starting salary of $155,000-$185,000 as well as stock options.
🌴Use what you need PTO: We seriously mean it, plus 11 company holidays and your birthday off!
⚕️Fully-paid health benefits plan for employees: including Medical, Dental, and Vision and an HSA match.
👪Family Leave: We provide 16 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and 12 weeks of 100% paid leave for secondary caregivers.
🍼Fertility & Family Benefits: We have partnered with Maven, a complete digital health benefit for starting and raising a family. We will reimburse $10,000 a year for adoption, surrogacy, or infertility.
🧠Mental Health: All employees receive an annual subscription to Headspace
💖Caregiver Support: We have partnered with Cariloop to provide our employees with caregiver support
💸Carta Tax Advisor: Employees receive 1:1 sessions with Equity Tax Advisors who can address individual grants, model tax scenarios, and answer general questions.
💻WFH Stipend: $150 per month to cover the costs of working from home.
📚L&D Stipend: $250 per year to use on Audible, Calm, Masterclass, Duolingo, Grammarly and so much more.
🏠Home Office Stipend: A one-time $750 to help you create your dream office.
🏢Coworking Space: If you’re not local to our ATL HQ, we’ll provide $250 a month to get you set up with an All Access Membership to WeWork (or a local coworking space in your area).
🐾Pet Insurance: We’ve partnered with Pumpkin to provide insurance for our employee’s fur babies.
Flock is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diverse backgrounds and thoughts and welcome everyone to apply for employment with us. We are committed to fostering an environment that is inclusive, transparent, and collaborative. Mutual respect is central to how Flock operates, and we believe the best solutions come from diverse perspectives, experiences, and skills. We embrace our differences and know that we are stronger working together.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com. This information will be treated as confidential and used only to determine an appropriate accommodation for the interview process.
Something looks off?