Senior Software Engineer - Product
Software engineers at Discord are product-driven thinkers who are focused on helping users engage meaningfully with the communities, and the people who use our app every day. Whether it's developing scalable software to support our creators and communities, building new features to explore creative revenue streams, or ensuring safety and belonging to our millions of users - we are motivated to move our business forward by building a better product. Compassion for our users is our guiding principle, and this same compassion shows in the flexible work/life balance and collaborative culture of our engineering teams.
To learn more about Discord Engineering, read our engineering blog here!
What you'll be doing
- Build new features across our iOS, Android, Web apps and the Discord backend systems. We work across the stack, but it's ok if you don't know all of our technology on day one.
- Architect elegant and maintainable code with a focus on autonomy and support from the team.
- Propose and champion improvements to the product, engineering, and process.
- Work on meaningful projects that allow for users to have more delightful conversations.
- Work with designers and product managers to create delightful interfaces and experiences.
- Fearlessly dive into the unknown alongside intelligent engineers challenging themselves and people around you.
Things we look for
- 5+ years of experience working on large, cross-platform software projects. Especially features for products at large-scale or in real-time applications.
- Experience with mobile development (React Native, Objective-C/Swift, Kotlin)
- Familiarity with Web development (React, TypeScript)
- An eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you will critique and modify existing designs.
- A focus on impact. You have a thoughtful eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to fine great solutions to business problems
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?