Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) and Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO), Bermuda
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Team/ Role Paragraph: We are seeking an experienced compliance leader to serve as Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) and Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO) for Coinbase’s Bermuda-based subsidiary. In this role, you will fulfill Coinbase’s mission of being the most trusted cryptocurrency company by overseeing and managing all aspects of Coinbase’s Compliance and Anti-Money Laundering Programs in Bermuda. In addition, you will be responsible for managing the entity’s relationship with the Bermuda Monetary Authority and providing strategic advisory to our business and product teams on all types of Compliance issues. This role will be supported by Coinbase’s global Compliance infrastructure, and report to the Head of Emerging Markets Compliance.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Identify relevant regulatory requirements for Coinbase Bermuda and ensure Coinbase’s ongoing compliance with the same.
- Keep ahead of regulatory developments in Bermuda that could impact Coinbase’s business and deploy necessary changes to maintain compliance in partnership with internal stakeholders.
- Provide regular updates to Bermuda senior management and the Coinbase Bermuda Board of Directors regarding the Compliance Program and overall regulatory landscape. Ensure appropriate escalation of compliance incidents or material issues to Compliance and business leadership and the Board.
- Oversee / manage regulatory notifications, comment letters, and other communications as required. Handle day-to-day regulatory communications.
- Oversee execution of Compliance Risk Assessments to ensure the adequacy of systems and controls to ensure that risks are managed effectively.
- Ensure that policies are updated to meet changing regulatory and business requirements.
- Oversee deployment of relevant Compliance training for local employees
- Ensure timely remediation of all relevant findings identified by third-parties (Internal Audit, regulatory exams), as well as self-identified items
- Partner with Compliance and Product stakeholders to ensure compliance obligations are considered and built as part of new product or expansion initiatives. Ensure appropriate documentation, including updating policies and procedures as needed.
- Manage and develop global relationships with key internal stakeholders and senior management in order to promote a consistent approach to the development and execution of an effective and integrated control environment.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 8+ years experience in compliance, including in senior leadership roles
- Direct, first-hand knowledge of financial services and anti-money laundering regulations in Bermuda, including direct experience liaising with Bermuda Monetary Authority
- Ability to independently manage day-to-day aspects of a Compliance Program, including audits and exams.
- Experience building Compliance Programs from the ground up.
- Experience in developing and administering internal controls and processes, proven track record of partnership and collaboration with remote, global teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of business functions, with an emphasis on senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute strategies across a global organization.
- Ability to develop, foster and maintain effective working relationships with diverse groups of people within the organization as well as with external stakeholders and vendors.
Nice to haves:
- Prior experience at cryptocurrency or fintech preferred
- A professional compliance or finance qualification, and membership of a recognized professional body
Job #: P51655
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?